Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Drinking Green--week 1

Smoothies that is.
Last Monday I began my effort to eat better.  I have been inspired by my recent review of Beth Aldrich's Real Moms Love to Eat book.  One challenge for week one is to drink green smoothies in place of your normal breakfast routine.
I've never been a morning shake kind of girl.  On the surface, it sounds a little counter-intuitive.  See, I usually ate cereal or toast, but I was starving by 10:00--not cool.  Drinking a shake sounded crazy since how could a liquid fill me up--it has no crunch, no substanance.  But you know me, I'm crazy enough to try anything once.  I figured I could give it a week since I didn't really have anything to lose.

Green smoothies are more than just your typical fruit and juice in a blender combo.  Per the recipe, I also add a scoop of protein powder (vanilla soy in my case) and green powder, and ground flax seed--all of which were purchased on a recent visit to my sister and the Whole Foods in Columbus. (Money saving tip on the flax seed-- I bought bulk whole flax seed at 2.99/lb and used my sister's coffee grinder to make ground flax seed for half the cost!)


Day 1)  I forgot to look at the recipe, so I just kind of winged it.  I added the fruit and the powders, but forgot the juice.  This smoothie was so thick I could barely get it down.  Seriously, it was the consistancy of mud.  I made it with frozen bananas which was AMAZING.  The bannana whips up really creamy

Day2)  The lid debacle.  So if you plan on drinking green smoothies for the first time I strongly recommend a solid cup--because it has a not quite too appealing appearance.  I was in a hurry this morning and couldn't quite get it all together.  I couldn't find the blender lid, so had to use the food processor.  I did remember the juice this day.  Things were going well until I forgot to close the lid on my insulated mug.  Turning in to the parking the cup slips from the cup holder --Green smoothie spills all over the consul and back seat.

Day 3-5) Nothing too terribly catastrophic.  I'm finding that I have more energy in the evening and I'm not starving at 10:00 am.  I learn that a blender does the job much quicker and quieter than my huge food processor.  I'm learning to like orange juice and bananas.  I'm not jamming on the protein powder--It can be thick and chalky like at times

Day 6 & 7)  Per our usual agreement--peanut and I spend morning breakfasts sharing a bowl of old fashioned oatmeal. No green smoothies on the weekend.

Week two--I'm experimenting with a little less protein--though I get hungry around lunch time--which I guess is okay.  My energy level is still up.  I think I want to try whey protein next, or maybe a cocoa flavored powder.  I don't know if it will make a difference in the weight department--but I know I feel better--so that's a definite perk

StumbleUpon

1 comment:

  1. I love green smoothies! Congratulations on finding something that worked. :)
    Alpine Dermatology

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! Thanks for leaving me a note.