Thursday, October 8, 2009

3 a.m. Wake-Up Call

Rich and I had a somewhat frightening surprise this weekend. We walked Roz shortly going to bed around 2:00 a.m. It was a cool night and we smelled smoke. We smelled a wood fire and assumed someone had built a fire in their
fireplace. We thought nothing of it. As we were dozing off we heard sirens, and I commented that they seemed close. Some time after 3:30 Rich got up for water, he discovered no water pressure in our faucets and put it all together. He woke me and we discovered the building on the corner (across the street and down two units) was ablaze. We watched as black smoke and tall flames quickly consumed the building. All roads in the complex were blocked off. Thankfully no one was hurt. It could have been so much worse and we are extremely grateful it wasn't us.

As a side story, note the kid in the picture. I call him shoeless Joe. This kid walks around the appartment complex all day and never has shirt or shoes on! StumbleUpon